Step 2: Application
Becoming a BCE helps you stand out from the crowd. The application procedure is as follows:
- Applicant completes the PDF application, and submits it with applicable payment, a minimum of two letters of reference, a CV, and transcripts, if required (see requirements page). The applicant signs a statement agreeing to abide by the BCE Code of Ethics. Each applicant also selects their specialty.
- It is strongly recommended that the applicant submit reference letters with their application. Failure to do so will dramatically slow down the application process. If letters of reference are not included, the applicant will need to submit a minimum of two names (including method of contact) for ESA to acquire the letters of reference. The ESA Certification Coordinator will then contact the references and ask them to vouch for the applicant. References submitted with the application may be contacted for verification.
- The full application and supporting materials are forwarded to the Chair of the BCE Examining Committee for review.
- Once the review is completed, applicants will either be sent a letter of welcome to the program if their application is accepted, or if additional information is needed, the applicant can provide this information or elect to withdraw from the program and receive half of his/her fees in return. Unsuccessful applicants have the right to appeal the decision to the Certification Board where their case can be reconsidered. The decision of the Certification Board shall be final.
- The applicant then selects a proctor for his/her examination and, together with their proctor, selects a testing date. This information must be communicated back to the Certification Coordinator, who establishes access for the applicant to take the tests. The tests must be taken within 365 days of making application, or else re-application to the program will be required.
- Once a test date is selected, the Certification Coordinator sends examination instructions to the proctor. The proctor then coordinates with the applicant.
- The applicant takes the test(s) on the proctor's computer and, upon submission, is shown his/her score, though final verification of the scores is not complete until reviewed by the Chair of the Examination Committee.
- The Chair of the Examination Committee contacts the applicant and welcomes them to the BCE program (if they passed) or offers suggestions on how to improve their score for the next test date. If re-testing is required, the test must be taken no sooner than 90 days, but no more than 365 days later than you last attempt, or else re-application to the program may be required. Click here for the re-test application.
- Upon becoming a BCE, the applicant is now entitled to use the moniker “BCE” or “Board Certified Entomologist” in all materials for him/herself and company materials that reference the applicant.
- A BCE welcome kit will be mailed to the new BCE by the Certification Coordinator.
- If the applicant became a BCE in the first 3 quarters of the year (January 1 -- September 31) they will need to renew their certification annually, beginning with the next year. If the applicant successfully passed his or her exams in the fourth quarter of the year (October 1 -- December 31) fees for the following year will not be required and annual renewals will start one year later.
If you are ready to take a step to further your career, please complete your application to the BCE program. A BCE application includes the following items:
- The application you can print out the PDF version.
- The Intern application is in PDF format.
- A minimum of two reference letters, or points of contacts for references,
- A CV or resume,
- A copy of your college transcripts (those who have more than 7 years of verifiable experience in the Specialty selected are exempted from this requirement), the application fee, and
- A willingness to adhere to the BCE Code of Ethics.
Please submit all materials to the Certification Coordinator, at the address below:
Entomological Society of America
Attention: BCE Certification Coordinator
3 Park Place, Suite #307
Annapolis, MD 21401-3722