General Entomology Qualifying Exam
You must have applied and been accepted into the BCE application process prior to taking this exam. After you have been accepted into the program, confirm with your proctor a date when you are ready to take the exam and inform the ESA Certification Coordinator by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Coordinator will e-mail instructions one week prior to the scheduled test date to you and your proctor. This exam is administered online. If your exam date changes please notify the Certification Coordinator at your earliest convenience.
Topics to study for the General Entomology Qualifying exam:
- History of Entomology
- Federal regulations for pesticides registrations and usage
- General Insect classification and biology
- Insect morphology and physiology
- Insect behavior and ecology
- Insect development and metamorphosis
- Pest management practices
- Medical entomology (Insects affecting humans)
- BCE Code of Ethics
- The Science of Entomology, by William S. Romoser, 4th Edition 1994.
- Fundamentals of Applied Entomology, by Pfadt (ISBN 0-0239-5490-6)
- Fundamentals of Entomology, by R. J. Elzinga
- An Introduction to the Study of Insects, by Borror, Triplehorn and Johnson
- Destructive and Useful Insects 5th Edition, by Robert Metcalf. 1992
- An Outline of Entomology, by P. Gullan (ISBN 1-4051-1113-5)
You also may consider taking the free BCE Qualifying Sample Exam. The login is BCEQ, and the password is Entobce1!