ESA Student Certification Award
Sponsored by PestWest Environmental Science, this award is presented annually to recognize and encourage outstanding entomology graduate students with interest in the mission of the ESA certification program, and to promote the understanding and importance of the program. The award consists of a $500 cash prize and an inscribed plaque. The awardee will be presented with the plaque during the ESA Annual Meeting.
Submit a Nominee-
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the ESA Student Certification Award according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits - The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items
- A 2-3-page essay written by the applicant on the importance of the ESA certification program (applicants should use their own words, not text from the certification brochure)
- Up to three letters of recommendation from faculty members or other knowledgeable individuals*
- Also, an official copy of the nominee's college transcript should be sent to and received by the awards administrator (mail to: Awards Administrator, Entomological Society of America, 3 Park Place, Suite 307, Annapolis, MD 21401-3722) by the nomination deadline. Transcripts do not count toward the 20-page limit.
*New This Year - Anonymous support letters are now available. You should ONLY follow the instructions below if you want to submit an anonymous letter. This should only be used if the author of the support letter wants to remain anonymous to the nominator. All other letters of support should be sent to the nominator directly and included in the full nomination packet by uploading documents in this award submission.
- Once the award application has been initiated, contact email@example.com with the Award ID # , Nominee name, and the letter in PDF format.
- Once the letter has been uploaded by the ESA Awards Administrator, the nominator will receive an email notification.
- Please note, ESA is not responsible for individuals that do not contact the awards administration by the deadline date. It is up to the nominator to make sure that the individuals email the letter(s) by the deadline date. If an anonymous letter is not received by the deadline this will impact the score of the nominee.
- Academics (40 points total)
- Academic record and accomplishments (20)
- Evaluation by faculty members or others (15)
- Contributions and/or service to academic department (5)
- Essay (50 points total)
- Definition of the certification program? (5)
- Benefits of the certification program (20)
- Future of the certification program (25)
- Service (10 points total)
- Contributions to ESA, including the certification program at the Branch and/or national level (10)
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by May 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after May 1.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
For questions about this award, please click here.